1. Improving oral hygiene - Thorough brushing of the teeth and between the teeth using dental floss or interdental brushes helps remove plaque and bacteria.
2. A dental hygienist can perform a professional teeth cleaning to remove hard tartar and other debris.
3. Antibiotics - In some cases, the use of antibiotics can be effective in treating periodontal disease.
4. In advanced cases of oral disease, surgical treatment such as tooth root treatment or tissue grafting may be necessary.
5. Changing eating habits - Limiting consumption of sweets and harmful foods can help reduce the risk of periodontal disease.
6. Smoking increases the risk of periodontitis and other oral diseases, so it is important to reduce or quit smoking altogether.
7. Stress management - Stress can lead to a weakened immune system and worsening gum health, so it is important to try to minimize stress.